Creating the Safety Net – Magdalen Asylum Registry

Magdalen Asylum Registry, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas West-Midwest Community, 1856

Magdalen Asylum Registry, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas West-Midwest Community, 1856

Not long after the Sisters of Mercy started to manage the San Francisco City and County hospital in 1855, women at risk, including former prostitutes, sought refuge at the hospital. This work evolved into the Magdalen Asylum, which moved to its own location in 1861 where San Francisco General Hospital now stands. In 1904 the name was changed to St. Catherine’s Home and Training School. This institution later became Good Shepherd Home/University Mound, remaining operational until the 1980s.


Share this article: